Monday, May 30, 2011

Bean There












The girls and I(and Naomi) went for a camping trip to Chaco Canyon on Saturday. We scored a tent site...Yeah! the sign said Campground Full, but we got an excellent spot to put our a tent. The wind was fierce- 30-50 mph, folding the tent down on our faces, but it did not blow away (thank you girls for being such good tent putter uppers!)

After hiking the trails, we had dinner of hot dogs and flying beans. We cooked a can of beans on the fire, every time I filled my plate something happened. The first time, the plate flew to the ground, landing plate down, so could salvage the beans. The second time it flew across the table, flipped and landed faced down on Xian's plate, the last time it flew face down on the ground. I took to eating out of the can.

We got to hear a lecture on Cacao in Chaco Canyon by an anthropologist from UNM. I loved it! The girls got bored after about a half an hour. We got back to the campground shortly before ten and got to see the incredible nighttime sky with no lights around.

Sunday, we took the road to Crownpoint (Chuck do not try this road in a Prius) It was the worse washboards for the most miles I have traveled in many years. There was about a 100 foot section of the road that looked like a huge drop-off and I felt the need to put the 4 Runner into 4WD to get down the stretch.
We got to El Morro by noon and had the luxury of eating at a cafe. We did the 2 mile hike in the 30+mph winds plus gust at much higher mph on the top of the cliffs.
By this time we all wanted to get a shower and sleep our own beds, so we left after Ms M got her second Jr. Ranger badge in two days.

4 comments:

Shoe said...

Nice vaca! Who is that little Monkai behind the mattress?

Chuckbert said...

Oooh! Fun and educational!

Go, Mei!

BobbieS53 said...

I'm sooooo glad you didn't get blown away...too bad about getting sandblasted, though.

RetroMag said...

Just checkingroolams to see if my Google account works for your blog.