We went down and got there about 9, thinking we would be early. How many people do you think have been to ground zero of the first atomic bomb blast? Well, here are three of the lucky ones!
There were tons of people, and no one noticed my Fat Man and Little Boy earrings, Topper 20th year reunion "it was a blast!"tee shirt, and my Los Alamos fire ball cap.
The bunker that has the Trinitite is closed off because the Trinitite has been covered with dirt. Bummer, I'll have to take them to Mom's to get up close and personal with radioactive materials.
It was fun to go through the McDonald Farm House.
And through Jumbo.
We had lunch in Socorro with Xian's friend and her mother. Her friend got to go to the State Science Fair. After lunch we went to the Mineral Museum, an we all got pretty rocks.All things told, the girls seem to enjoy the trip.
5 comments:
Cool pictures and descriptions! Thanks. Did Xian read "The Green Glass Sea" yet?
When we were at the National Air Force Museum in Day-ton, Ohio, we saw a replica of Fat Man. Japanese tourists were taking each other's picture in front of it. I had to leave.
She is reading it, and has read others about the project. There was a Japanese guy today who was taking tons of pictures.
Sounds like you had a busy and interesting day. Lots of history to be re-lived.
Poss, lose the hat! You look way too much like Jack in it.
I enjoy seeing pictures of your trips to places I never got around to seeing. I guess there's still time. I have a feeling that I need to revisit some of the places we glimpsed in our family roadtrip from (to?) hell. You're going to be doing that, aren't you? I'm looking forward to the pictures of that one.
Sounds like your trip was a blast!
Hope to make it down there someday. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment