Sunday, March 30, 2008

Camino Real, Gila, and No Reserve

We set out at a leisurely pace on Friday, and decided to take the exit to The Camino Real historical site. What a find! I thought it would be a poster on a wall, but we ended up spending at least an hour in the museum. It is a place that I would take visitors, and I will go back again. Plus, I got a yucca flower stem walking stick for Mom, who forgot her stick at home and Auntie Cecilia's cane which she borrowed because she left her stick at home.

We made it to Lake Roberts and checked into the Pine Cabin. Truly funky, and totally comfortable.

Saturday, we got up fairly early and went to the Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument and were met at the entrance by several birds hoping that we would not make it out.


It was a beautiful day, and we did the one mile hike in a little over 2 hours. I even went down the ladder, which caused my thighs to spasm. I do not like ladders.


After lunch of American and German Fare
we stopped at Lake Roberts, then went back to the cabin for a quiet afternoon of naps and reading. Mom got the German Pork Roast, and she ate every bite. I had homemade sauerkraut, which was delicious, and I got to nibble on Mom's cooked red cabbage and German Potato Pancakes. They were so good, that we considered going back just for the side dishes.

This morning we got up and did the 20 mile drive into Silver City, which took an hour. We then headed north to Reserve for lunch at a delightful bakery cafe. It not only had good sandwiches, but excellent cookies.

And how can any trip through the Plains of San Agustin
without stopping at the VLA? It was way windy, but we still heard ourselves talk at the demonstration dishes.. Thenn we cruised through Socorro and saw students playing softball at NM Tech.

Now we are ready to go back to school, work and visiting family.

3 comments:

Chuckbert said...

What a fun trip. Except for the VLA, I've never seen any of those sites. (I've been inside one of the VLA's dishes before they were operational. That was fun!)

Thanks for getting our mother out of the house for the weekend.

Poss said...

We have so much fun going on road trips with Mom/Grammy. The girls and I love doing adventures with her, however we do have to promise no more hikes up and down mountains. But look at the smile on my big girl's face as she walked holding onto Mom's hand. That alone made the trip worthwhile.

Shoe said...

That was a wonderful weekend!