Where are those beautiful "weeds" growing? You sure the cops won't come after you? Wasn't it the Mendius kid that almost died from nibbling too much of one? Watch those girls!
The sheep and goats would not eat them even when they were the last green things in the pen. The girls know not to touch the plants. They have a noxious smell when disturbed. I think they are very pretty.
Howdy Bookies, I presume you all have seen the beloved herbalist Michael Moore's description of Jimson Weed--he has such a way with words! "Jimsonweed is a rank, smelly plant of large proportions with broad, dark-green leaves and round, many-branching rubbery stems, all often blissfully insect ridden."
This is, of course, an excerpt from the newest edition of Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West. Datura actually does have medicinal value, as both a bronchial anti-spasmodic, and as a muscle and joint pain reliever. NOT taken internally, however. Although a smidge of the smoke inhaled is what calms bronchial spasms. When smoked "recreationally" many bad things can happen, as both Mr. Moore and I can attest. It's "blech" as he so genuinely puts it. I do recall tales from the 80s--I believe it was the class of 1982 or 83, where apparently some young local teens were apprehended, naked and running with coyotes, at the Golf Course. Makes for a nice story!
Holy Moly! Looks like Loco Weed to me! I guess Jimson Weed IS Loco weed. Very dangerous for livestock. No wonder your goats and sheep stay away from it!
8 comments:
Them's purty flowers! Don't eat 'em.
Where are those beautiful "weeds" growing? You sure the cops won't come after you? Wasn't it the Mendius kid that almost died from nibbling too much of one? Watch those girls!
The sheep and goats would not eat them even when they were the last green things in the pen. The girls know not to touch the plants. They have a noxious smell when disturbed.
I think they are very pretty.
Oh, wow. Have you ever, like, looked at, like, your hands? I mean, like, rilly looked at your hands?
Howdy Bookies,
I presume you all have seen the beloved herbalist Michael Moore's description of Jimson Weed--he has such a way with words! "Jimsonweed is a rank, smelly plant of large proportions with broad, dark-green leaves and round, many-branching rubbery stems, all often blissfully insect ridden."
This is, of course, an excerpt from the newest edition of Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West. Datura actually does have medicinal value, as both a bronchial anti-spasmodic, and as a muscle and joint pain reliever. NOT taken internally, however. Although a smidge of the smoke inhaled is what calms bronchial spasms. When smoked "recreationally" many bad things can happen, as both Mr. Moore and I can attest. It's "blech" as he so genuinely puts it. I do recall tales from the 80s--I believe it was the class of 1982 or 83, where apparently some young local teens were apprehended, naked and running with coyotes, at the Golf Course. Makes for a nice story!
Cheers!
I hope everyone noticed the insect eaten holes in the plants
Thanks chrysanthemama
Holy Moly! Looks like Loco Weed to me! I guess Jimson Weed IS Loco weed. Very dangerous for livestock. No wonder your goats and sheep stay away from it!
Post a Comment