I did a bold thing last week. I was waiting for the bus to the train station and a young man in uniform was at the stop. He had a wad of chew in his cheek, and I thought I should say something, but didn't. The next day he sat next to me on the bus. I told him I was an oncology social worker and I needed to tell him why he should stop the chew. Instead of telling me where to shove it, he asked me about the addiction of nicotine. He said that his wife and mother were always after him to quit.
Fast forward a few days and he is sitting next to me again and said that he had quit the chew. He said that his wife couldn't believe that he had actually listened to someone. He said he was eating lots of sunflower seeds, LOTS of sunflower seeds, but he had quit! I hope he makes it.
I'm glad I took the risk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
"Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN, and the wisdom to know the difference." I'm glad you had the courage to take the bull by the horns, and hope he persists in his quitting. I also hope he doesn't develop the horrible cancer you described to me.
Wow, that is great! Good for you, and GOOD for him! Tell him your sister in So Cal is pulling for him! Buy him some sunflower seeds for me!
Way to go! I hope he succeeds! He shows courage in changing. Sunflower seeds will help save his life.
(I had an acquaintance in Maxwell who lost a good portion of his lower lip and jaw to chew.)
It sounds like maybe he was ready to give it a try and just needed an informed outsider to make him act.
I hope he kicks it.
Good luck to him.
Way to go, Poss! I'm glad he listened to you! It's nice to take a risk and succeed. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment